Monday, February 21, 2011

Theory of Animation


`            Upon reading “Notes Toward a Theory of Animation” I did agree with what was being conveyed.  The short paragraph at the beginning discusses on how animation can be cheaply made.  This idea reigns true in today standards probably more than ever.  What I mean is that the animation that is being made today is very cheap and lazy compared to animation of the thirties and forties.   Most of modern animation is 3D computer animation, and virtually no traditional hand drawn animation is being produced.  One may be so bold to say that hand drawn animation is… dead. 
            Later on in the excerpt, the author discusses the fact any camera movements in animation are limited to pans and tilts.  This statement is true, maybe because the animators are lazy, or maybe cutting to different shots is too expensive.   The passage never really discusses why this idea is true.  It does say that more experimental animation films contain different shots.  The author seems (to me) as if they are putting down any animation that isn’t experimental… According to the author most animation remains consistent in how they are made.
            Speaking of “remaining consistent,” how many times do I have to have Duck Amuck crammed down my throat?  I like this cartoon, but it seems that when theatrical animated shorts are brought up (at least in film classes) this is the one that is discussed.  Okay… I know it is a good cartoon and a good example of an experimental cartoon, but there are more out there that can be discussed.  How about Fantasia, or more specific “Meeting the Soundtrack.” This portion of the film shows the soundtrack like the one that would be located on the filmstrip of the film.  It may not have much camera movement but it does use experimental elements.  The author doesn’t have to use this as an example, but they could use something different.
            All in all the reading is very informative for someone who doesn’t know anything about animation.  But, I guess that’s the point.  I would have liked to read something different on the subject of abstract animation.  I did agree with a lot that was being said, but I would have liked something that I haven’t heard a million times before.  I would also like to make it clear that I do not hate Duck Amuck.  It probably seems that I dislike the short film.  I do like the cartoon, but I also think that it is very overrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment