Monday, April 4, 2011

Molotov Man/The Ecstasy of Influence


Molotov Man:
            I would like to talk about the paintings themselves first.  I really like the author’s original paintings.  These paintings remind me of the Ralph Bakshi film American Pop.  This film was rotoscoped from real people to look like an animated film.  American Pop is one of my favorite animated films, so this is why I liked the artwork so much.  The intense looks on the subject’s faces make the artwork stand out.  I particularly love the one with the man on the microphone.  The shading on the faces is so realistic.  I really am drawn to look at these pieces of art.
            I do not feel that the author should feel bitter or mad about other people taking his artwork and making that their own.  Now, I do not feel like the author is mad.  I’m just saying he shouldn’t be mad.  I feel that the author is upset that the “Molotov Man” was taken in the direction of anti-corporation ads like that of Pepsi.  But, the artist should have been aware.  This artwork is similar to what Warhol made in 1960’s.  This idea proves that anyone can take an image and make a piece of artwork.  Others should learn from the mistake that this artist made.  

The Ecstasy of Influence:
            I find this article interesting.  I agree that art is basically a whole if you were to think about it that way.  This idea implies that all artists are influenced by another work of art.  I think that this is true everything that I have ever made or wrote has been inspired by something else.  I also enjoy the beginning of the article in which they use Bob Dylan as an example.  The reason I enjoy this is because I do not care for Bob Dylan, and I’m sick of people trying to tell me how “original” he is/was.
            This article also discusses other ways one can be inspired.  For instance, blues player Muddy Waters talks about how he wrote a song about his girl friend leaving him.  I enjoy this part of the article as well, because sometimes the best art come from emotional pain.  This pain makes the artist determined, and takes the mind off the pain.
            Finally, the author does a great job at backing up their points that they are trying to make.  The article goes as far as using cartoons as an example.  Without The Honeymooners the Flintstones would not exist, and without the Flintstones the Simpsons would not exist.  This idea is odd, but very true.  So, in the end all forms of art/media is influenced by something else

No comments:

Post a Comment